Education / Artistic Training
Workshops and Seminars
- Edward Eyth, professional and public artist, director of the Richard MacDonald Masters Workshops: sculpting the figure sculpture workshop
- Charles Citron instructor, professional and public artist: concrete sculpture workshop; paper sculpture workshop
- Ron Young instructor, artist, patination expert, Sculpt Nouveau: private patina instruction
- Jason Horjs, Xanadu Gallery professional gallerist and author: online workshop, business for artists
- Manuelita Brown, professional and public artist: Rasor assisted with public art concrete sculpture project
- Marlene Amerian, public artist: visiting artist workshops
- Maria Koretz, artist, instructor: Uninstructed Figurative Sculpture Class Pacific Art League, visiting artist workshops
- Susannah Israel, professional artist: seminar Black Bean Ceramic Art Center
- Pierre Bounaud, ceramacist, Coloring with Terra Sigillata: workshop
- Richard McDonnell, ceramacist, Concepts in Ceramics for Adults: class
- Patricia Frischer, professional artist, curator, founding member and coordinator of the San Diego Visual Arts Network, (SDVAN)
- April Game, founder and executive director of Art Pulse, a local arts agency dedicated to improving the health of the arts in San Diego County.
- McLean Emenegger, art consultant
- Marlene Amerian, personal art advisor
- Maria Koretz, personal art advisor
- Charles Citron, personal art advisor
Related Formal Education
- Master of Science, Physiology, University of California, Davis, CA
- Bachelor of Science, Biology, Wright State University, Dayton, OH
Professional Memberships, Public Works, and Publications
- The Studio Door, North Park, San Diego, CA, Exhibiting Artist
- Brandon Gallery, Fallbrook, CA, Exhibiting Artist
- Fallbrook Art Center, Artist Guild, Member; Exhibiting Artist
- Fallbrook School of the Arts, Instructor, Figurative Sculpture
- San Diego Sculptors Guild (SDSG) Member Sculptor 2014, 2015, Balboa Park and Tubac AZ
- National Sculpture Society, Associate Member
- San Diego Botanic Garden Sculpture in the Garden Exhibition “Flamboyant Voids” 2014 – 2015; “Chupacabra”, “The Accuser” and “The Accused” 2015 – 2016
- North San Diego County Sculptors, Member, “The Accused” (in process) presented in Artist Alley Oceanside Blog Monday June 16, 2014, North County Sculptors Group meeting
- Oceanside Museum of Art, Oceanside, CA, Member
- Artist Alliance, Oceanside Museum of Art, Member
- International Contemporary Artists, Vol VII, Eve Lemonidou, Publisher, Curator, I.C.A. Publishing, New York and Athens Greece, curated, juried art book Artist, sculptures selected: “With the Flow”, Iron Woman”, “Spike”, “Tribute to Gaston”, “Tribute to Gaston II”
- Oceanside Museum of Art Viewpoint Newsletter, Winter/Spring 2015: sculpture selected “Industrial Slowdown”
- SeeMe published book, “Early Light” photograph, Exposure Award Collections, The Sky Collection, page 99
- SeeMe published book, “Dawn on the Ranch” photograph, Exposure Award Collections, The Landscape Collection, page 97
- The Monthly, online publication by The Studio Door gallery, October 2015, Artist Spotlight, pages: 2, 14, 16, 21-24
- The Monthly, online publication by The Studio Door gallery, Nov/Dec 2015, Open Studios, pages: contents, 15, back cover
Classes and Workshops Taught
- Feb 2016, Fallbrook School of the Arts, East Alvarado Street, Fallbrook CA 92028, Ceramic Figure Sculpture for Adults. Workshop, Date: Saturday, Feb. 6 & Feb. 13 & Feb. 20, 2016, Time: 9:30 – 1:30 pm
- Jul-Aug 2015, San Diego Artist Retreat, Life-size Sculpture Class, steel mesh. Private instruction.
- Aug 2013, Rasors Sculpture Figurative Sculpture Class, ceramic. Private instruction.
- October 2-24, 2015, The Studio Door, Northpark gallery, juried exhibition. Opening reception October 2, 2015 6-9pm at The Studio Door, 3750 30th Street, San Diego, CA. Meet the Open Studios San Diegoparticipating artists, see their artwork, plan out a creative journey the following weekend.
- October 10, 11, 2015 10am-5pm, Open Studios San Diego self-guided tours, see studio tour map andSpotlight Artist.
- August 1, 2015, Fallbrook Artists Studio Tour sponsored by Fallbrook Art Center for Patrons and Artist Guild Members (ticket required) – a privileged look at 11 Artists working at 10 locations throughout Fallbrook, sculpture sold.
- June 5 through July 5, 2015, San Diego County Fair, Del Mar Fine Art Juried Exhibit: Four of Julia’s fine art sculptures exhibited, award received: THIRD PLACE 3D Recycled Art “Industrial Plummet”.
- May 16th 2015 – June 14th 2015, Julia’s “Tribute to Vogue”, ceramic and “Haute Couture” (formerly “She”) mixed media, Juried Exhibition, Fallbrook Art Center’s 4th Annual Juried Artists Guild Show. Opening reception Saturday May 16, 2015 5-7pm Fallbrook Art Center, 103 South Main Street, Fallbrook, CA.
- May 2015 through April 2016, Julia’s three steel mesh figurative sculptures “Chupacabra”, “The Accuser” and “The Accused”, Juried Exhibition, Scupture in the Gardens at San Diego Botanic Garden at 230 Quail Gardens Drive, Encinitas CA. Sculpture is for sale. Ask Julia about Guest passes.
- November 15, 2014, 7pm-1am, “Anchoring Roots” and “Embracing Roots”, Silent Auction Exhibition at World Beat Center, Balboa Park, Synergy Art Foundation Blanks to Beauty open to all San Diego artists. Jurors, Bob Pincus and Mark E. Lugo selected 31 works by 22 artists out of over 130 submissions. “Anchoring Roots” sold at auction.
- September 26 through January 4, 2015 “Rocky”, “Impact”, and “Betrayed”, Exhibition at Oceanside Museum of Art: Artist Alliance/Escondido Arts Partnership, Juried Exhibition, OMA at Herbert B. Turner Gallery at Southfair Del Mar, 2010 Jimmy Durante Blvd. Del Mar, CA. Opening Reception September 26 2014, 6-8pm.
- September 23 through October 12, 2014 “Carmen”, La Jolla Art Association 5th Annual Black & White Juried Exhibition. La Jolla Art Association Gallery (San DIego’s oldest art gallery) 8100 Paseo del Oeaso, Suite B, La Jolla, CA. Artist’s Reception October 12, 2014, 5pm – 8pm.
- July 16 through Aug 26, 2014, Civic Center Gallery lobby of Encinitas City Hall, 505 South Vulcan Avenue, Encinitas, CA 92024, City of Encinitas Arts Division and Commission for the Arts, Opening Reception at City Hall, July 25, 5-7pm. “Splash”.
- June 7 through July 6, 2014, San Diego County Fair, Del Mar Fine Art Juried Exhibit: Four of four of Julia’s fine art sculptures exhibited, awards received: FIRST PLACE, Ceramics “Weight of the World” and THIRD PLACE 3D Recycled Art “Industrial Slowdown”.
- May 2014 through April 2015, Julia’s over 7-foot cement sculpture “Flamboyant Voids”, Juried Exhibition, Scupture in the Gardens at San Diego Botanic Garden at 230 Quail Gardens Drive, Encinitas CA.
- January 2014 through December 2014, New Gallery Exhibit: Work displayed in Tubac, AZ Gallery, San Diego Sculptors Guild Tubac, in Old Tubac.
- December, 2013, Solo Featured Artist Show Opening Reception Dec 14, 5pm: “Transformation”, Julia S. Rasor SDSG Featured Artist for a month at San Diego Sculptors Guild, Studio 36, Spanish Village Art Center, Balboa Park.
- October 12, 2013, Saturday, Art Pulse Six Year Anniversary Party, Bread and Salt – 1955 Julian Avenue, San Diego, CA, donated “Oceanic” for silent auction.
- August 31, 2013, Saturday 12-5pm: Dog Day Afternoon, San Diego Sculptors Guild, Studio 36, Spanish Village Art Center, Balboa Park (sculpture raffle of sculpture with a dog theme, Julia’s “Part of Me” sculpture series – proceeds go to Baja Dog Rescue).
- August 24-25, 2013, Saturday-Sunday, 10am-6pm: Artwalk San Diego @NTC Liberty Station (formerly Artwalk on the Bay), San Diego Sculptors Guild Booth, Ingram Plaza, NTC Liberty Station (annual fine art festival).
- June 30, 2013, Sunday, 1-5pm: Open Studio / Beach Party, Riviera Drive, Mission Bay, eighty of Julia S. Rasor’s sculptures on display, early and new works (free sculpture drawing); sculptures sold, commissions signed.
- May 16, 2013, Tuesday, 6-9pm: Take A Seat, up-cycled chair creatively redesigned: IFDA Chapters in San Diego, New York, and Osaka, Japan design exhibition – funds raised supported Japan Tsunami Relief, Hurricane Sandy Relief and professional development for IFDA, Planet Rooth Design Haus, San Diego; Julia mounted two rock climber sculptures on her family’s vintage chair, chair televised and sold via live auction.
- April 27, 2013, Saturday, 9pm-12:30am: Blanks to Beauty; blank canvases supplied, proceeds donated to Synergy’s arts educational program with Kimbrough School children in collaboration with Feeding America SD and Young Audiences; two of Julia’s sculptures mounted on canvases sold at silent auction “Surf Goddess” and “Sun Goddess” (representational and abstract duo).
Awards and Recognitions
- FIRST PLACE Ceramics “Weight of the World” June 7-July 6, 2014 San Diego County Fair, 4th largest fair in North America, Del Mar Fine Art Exhibit.
- THIRD PLACE 3D Recycled Materials “Industrial Slowdown” June 7-July 6, 2014 San Diego County Fair, Del Mar Fine Art Exhibit.
- THIRD PLACE 3D Recycled Art “Industrial Plummet” June 5 through July 5, 2015 San Diego County Fair, Del Mar Fine Art Juried Exhibit
- ARTPIECE SELECTED, at the 8/12/14 Oceanside Museum of Art (OMA) Artist Alliance Quarterly Exchange: “Industrial Slowdown” published in the OMA museum Winter/Spring 2015 Viewpoint Newsletter.
- TWO ARTPIECES SELECTED, “Early Light” photograph for SeeMe Exposure Award digital display at the Louvre Museum in Paris and online through 2015, also online in the Exposure Award Gallery, and in the published book Exposure Award Collections, The Sky Collection. “Dawn on the Ranch” photograph for SeeMe Exposure Award digital display at the Louvre Museum in Paris and online through 2015, also online in the Exposure Award Gallery, and in the published book Exposure Award Collections, The Landscape Collection.
Gallery Exhibits and Representations
- San Diego Botanic Garden, Sculpture in the Garden Exhibition, Encinitas, CA
- Brandon Gallery, Fallbrook, CA
- Fallbrook Art Center, Fallbrook, CA
- Oceanside Museum of Art at The Herbert B. Turner Gallery, Del Mar, CA
- La Jolla Art Association Gallery, San Diego’s oldest art gallery, La Jolla, CA
- San Diego Sculptors Guild Gallery, Balboa Park, San Diego, CA
- San Diego Sculptors Guild Gallery, Tubac AZ
- The Studio Door, Northpark, San Diego, CA
Fendi Horse – David and Nicole Rickards; Private Collectors, Poway, CA
Mantle the Crag – Karen Wirrig, FIFDA; Private Collector and Designer, Carlsbad, CA
Ned S. Rasor bust – Dr. & Mrs. Ned S. Rasor; Private Collectors, Dayton, OH
Kate Leonard – Honorary Consul General of Japan for San Diego, CA
Holly Carter – Private Collector, Alto Boquette, Chiriqui, Panama
Elaine Sampson – President IT, San Diego, CA
Carol Foster – Vice President SVAC, San Diego, CA
Karen Wirrig, FIFDA – Private Collector and Designer, Carlsbad, CA
David and Nicole Rickards – Private Collectors, Poway, CA
Patric Stillman – Gallerist & Artist, San Diego, CA
Dennis Dizon – Private Collector Artist, San Diego, CA
Artun Kutchuk – Private Collector, San Diego, CA
Nancy Lubell – Private Collector, White Plains, NY
Marlene Rantanen – Private Collector, Fallbrook, CA
Jeannette Merrick – Private Collector, Linthicum, MD
Molly Fleming – Private Collector, Saint Paul, MN
Dr. & Mrs. Thomas T. Lawson – Private Collectors, El Cerrito, CA
Kate Engelbrecht – Private Collector and Realtor, Santa Cruz, CA
Thomas R. Powell, III – Private Collector, Morgan Hill, CA
Lisa Van Herick – Private Collector, San Diego, CA
Janet Michaelis – Private Collector, Dayton, OH
Grant Rasor-Thompson – Private Collector, Los Gatos, CA
Arnold Gum – Private Collector, San Diego, CA
Venesse Koll – Private Collector, San Diego, CA
Victor Rasor-Thompson – Private Collector, San Diego, CA
Robin Imus – Private Collector, San Diego, CA
Maria Koretz – Private Collector, Palo Alto, CA
Yvonne Wylie – Private Collector, San Diego, CA
Dr. & Mrs. Ned S. Rasor – Private Collectors